Saturday, December 11, 2010

Welcome, and Introduction - part 1

I grew up in a home full of classical music.  Both my parents had master's degrees in music; my mom was a violin teacher and played in a professional orchestra, my dad played piano and/or organ at every church we ever attended.  It was a rare thing indeed to have any other music but classical played in our home, and when it was played, it was usually to the disapproving glares of my parents.

One year my father was asked to accompany a singer for a wedding, and came home with Sandi Patty's cassette, Make His Praise Glorious so he could write out an accompaniment part for the solo.  I managed to snag that tape, and found the song Love Will Be Our Home on it.  I listened to that song over, and over and OVER again.  It was so calming, and peaceful, and was such a great song.  I just knew that when I grew up, that's what my home would be like.  If you've never had the pleasure, let me introduce you to a few of the lyrics.
Wherever there is laughter ringing, someone smiling, someone dreaming...  Wherever there are children singing, where a tender heart is beating...  Where there are words of kindness spoken, where a vow is never broken, we can live together there - love will be our home.
Ah, that was what a "home" was supposed to be like?  Not that there was anything wrong with my home at all.  I grew up with five siblings, though, and I can tell you that there was a lot more screaming and yelling than laughter ringing and children singing.

When I got married and had a family of my own, I decided that Sandi Patty (or whoever wrote the original lyrics) really didn't know what she was talking about.  Home is not all sweetness and light, as anyone with a family can attest to.  Sure, we'd love a home brimming with all the love in that song, but those moments are usually the exception, not the rule.

Then I grew up a little more.  I realized that Sandi Patty probably knew all that when she was singing the song.  It's not about deceiving yourself, it's about hope.  After all, if a little girl of 10 can believe that she will one day have a home like that, isn't it possible that we all do?  We're broken, and we live in a broken world, but our hearts yearn for those things all the time.

So why did I choose to name my blog Love Will Be Our Home?  Well, if you take a peak at the actual URL, you'll notice that the real name is Agape-Bound Home.  As a mother, a wife, a homeschool "teacher", a sister, a daughter, a daughter-in-law, my heart yearns to build a home and a life filled with the love that God teaches.  Agape.  Unconditional, no-strings-attached love.  Whether my children are laughing and singing, or breaking dishes and screaming at each other.  Whether my husband brings me roses and chocolates, or chooses to work a few extra hours.

I know that I will fail - miserably sometimes.  I also know that "as far as the east is from the west" God leaves those failures behind and can redeem even my worst moments for his glory.  I hope to be able to share that journey with you, even on the days when no one wants to live with me.

Welcome to my home.

Jennifer
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment