In October 2011, I followed that up with Part Two: The When and the How
If you haven't had a chance to read them yet, please check them out. I'd love to hear what you think (feel free to comment here or over on the Modern Alternative Mama blog).
At the end of part two, I offered a list of resources to help you learn more. This is that list.
Is this a huge list? Yes. Is it all worth reading? Yes, if you're anything like me. If you're not a "reader" or prefer to read less rather than more, then probably not. Do you have to read everything here? No.
I've starred* a few resources in each category that I have found most helpful, as well as given a small overview of each resource so you know what it's about. I've broken the entire list down into categories; some books are for parents to read, some are for teens to read, some are best if parents read first and then give to the teen and set aside time for a discussion either as the teen reads the book, or after he's finished (I use the pronoun he, as well as him and his to indicate a teen of either sex. Unless specifically noted, the non-fiction teen books are appropriate for both young men and young women.).
Please comment with any questions or to give your own list of resources. Mine is by no means all-inclusive - these are simply the things I've read/watched/heard over the years and found to be very useful in developing my plan to train my children to understand and follow the path of Biblical Purity and Sexuality.
RESOURCES - BOOKS
- Fiction Books for pre-teens/teens.
Unfortunately, I've found very little in this category that is aimed at young men. Whether that's because boys tend to be less willing to read than girls, or for some other reason, I don't know. However, I will say that what I've recommended here - while written from a female perspective - could be shared with boys.
- The Christy Miller Series by Robin Jones Gunn. A 12-book series that is currently being published in a 4-volume set (3 books per set).
- Summer Promise/A Whisper and a Wish/Yours Forever (The Christy Miller Series 1-3) (Christy Miller Collection, Volume 1)
- Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 2: Surprise Endings / Island Dreamer / A Heart Full of Hope (Books 4-6)
- The Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 3: True Friends / Starry Night / Seventeen Wishes (Books 7-9)
- The Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 4: A Time to Cherish / Sweet Dreams / A Promise Is Forever (Books 10-12)
- Christy and Todd: The College Years by Robin Jones Gunn. A 3-book set that follows Christy Miller through her college years.
- The Sierra Jensen Series by Robin Jones Gunn. Another 12-book series with several purchasing options: Amazon has the 4-volume sets available for Kindle or in hardcover books; the individual paperbacks are available from independent Amazon sellers. Character Sierra Jensen crosses path with Christy Miller and her friends several times in both series. (Links are to hardcover editions)
- Sierra Jensen Collection: Volume One; Only You, Sierra/In Your Dreams/Don't You Wish (The Sierra Jensen Series 1-3)
- Sierra Jensen Collection: Volume Two; Close Your Eyes/Without a Doubt/With This Ring (The Sierra Jensen Series 4-6)
- Sierra Jensen Collection, Volume Three; Open Your Heart/Time Will Tell/Now Picture This (The Sierra Jensen Series 7-9)
- Sierra Jensen Collection, Volume Four; Hold On Tight/Closer Than Ever/Take My Hand (The Sierra Jensen Series 10-12)
- Love Finds You in Sunset Beach, Hawaii
- The Katie Weldon Series by Robin Jones Gunn. Currently 3 books available. Katie Weldon become's Christy Miller's best friend in the Christy Miller books. The first book in this series picks up after the end of the College Years Christy books.
- *Parenting is Heart Work* by Dr. Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller
- *Bringing up Boys* and *Bringing up Girls* by Dr. James Dobson
- *Why Gender Matters*, *Boys Adrift* and *Girls on the Edge* by Dr. Leonard Sax
- *Preparing Your Son for Every Man's Battle* by Stephen Arterburn & Fred Stoeker
- *Preparing Your Daughter for Every Woman's Battle* by Shannon Ethridge
- Your Boy and Your Girl (Raising a Godly Son/Daughter in an Ungodly World) by Vicki Courtney
- The Truth About Sex: What the World Won't Tell You and God Wants You to Know by Kay Arthur